Monday, November 22, 2010

The Daily Three 11/22: Something Old, New, Borrowed and Blue

No, I am not trying to marry Kanye West... (why, did he say something?). But he is one of my favorite artists and his fifth studio album, 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,' comes out today. I have heard some songs from it, and I am very excited.

Anyways, the title is what it is; today we get four Kanyeezy songs because that's what the old saying calls for.

Something Old: Jesus Walks

He recorded this before he had a contract with a record company, so it has to actually be pretty old, but it still manages to feel like a really new song each time I hear it.




Something New: The Joy

This is from his G.O.O.D Fridays mix-tape, where he has been putting up a new song on his website each Friday for a few months. Anyways, I didn't want to step on the toes of his album and post on of those leaked songs, and even more importantly, I love this song and have listened to it at least fifty times since he posted it about three weeks ago.




Something Borrowed: Stronger

He 'borrowed' much of this beat from house band Daft Punk. I have heard some people criticize him for this, and for his sampling, but I think that has gone by the wayside. It is pretty clear that Kanye has plenty of talent by himself.




Something Blue: Heartless

He recorded his '808's and Heatbreaks' album apparently under the emotions of his mom's death and a bad breakup from his long time girlfriend. You could really choose any song from this album, but 'Heartless' has to be the best.

I actually didn't even realize what I great and lyrically full song this was until The Fray covered it. If this was an acoustic pop song it would have been on every radio station.

Oh ya, and the video is really sweet.




Props to Kanye on the new album. I think I am going to get it in vinyl as a cool bit of memorabilia.

No comments:

Post a Comment